Best Eggplant

0c

09 May 2010

Ingredients:

1 small eggplant
2 T butter/margarine
1 t salt
3/4 c. water
1/2 T sugar
1/2 T vinegar

1/2-1 t. ea:
- cinnamon
- coriander
- cumin
- turmeric
+ spicy chili to taste

Cut eggplant into small chunks (1/2-1 inch). Heat butter and spices, cook for ~1 minute (don't allow to burn). Add eggplant and salt and toss to coat. Combine water, vinegar and sugar and add to pan. Simmer covered until tender (~10 min). Uncover and simmer rapidly until liquid is evaporated (~15 min).

This is one of my new favorite recipes! The original recipe can be found here. I like to eat this plain, but it's also good over rice, couscous and with naan. When I serve it over something, I don't evaporate ALL the liquid.

Everytime I cook this, Jane comes to the window and says, "Zara, what are you preparing? It smells SO good!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Zara Cooks in Cameroon © 2008 Blog Design by Randomness